Are you looking to escape the 9 to 5? Do you have a chronic illness or kids at home and need a work at home solution? One answer may be freelance writing. However, you might have some fears about it. There are some things to consider if you are afraid to freelance. Here are a few things you could fear about freelancing.
- What others might think.
- Lacking some financial security as well as health insurance and other benefits.
- Fear of isolation from always being at home.
- Having a different way of life that other people.
- Focusing on the big success stories and comparing yourself to the “gurus”.
- Fear of the unknown.
While these fears may be legitimate, you can simplify your thinking.
- Make business goals.
- Start small and have steps to meet said goals.
- Get rid of excess, too many emails and too much time on social media, as examples.
- Set your ideal schedule, and stick to it.
- Stop comparing your progress to others.
- Find a good community online, such as a group on Facebook.
While freelancing can be a bit scary if you do your research and persevere, you will most likely find your version of success. If you are able to scale your business and work on the side while maintaining regular employment, this is probably the best way to go. However, if you need money now, with a small investment you can build a website and pitch on job sites, like Upwork. Once you get your feet wet, consider cold emailing as a way to get higher paying gigs.