Lately I have been doing a lot of research on the Etsy platform because I hope to start selling graphic design merchandise through printiful on Etsy. So many people love shopping on Etsy and it is the place to go online for quality handmade items. This will not be my first go at Etsy. A couple years ago I tried my hand at selling hemp jewelry and it didn’t really pan out. I didn’t do my research and learned that jewelry is pretty saturated on Etsy. Here are some Etsy tips I have come across in my research.
- The name you choose is important. You can’t change your username so the one you come up with is important. For SEO purposes you might not want a generic name. You also want a name that people will be able to spell so you may not want to do a play on words.
- Branding is also important. Your banner, avatar, and customer listing photo should all be similar and on point. If you sell physical products, your packaging must also go with the vibe of your brand. Etsy shoppers are used to fancy packaging, so keep that in mind.
- Use good photos. A good photo will set you apart from other stores and is what a customer will initially see. It can be the difference between a purchase and a hard pass. Use natural light if you can’t afford a light set up right off the bat.
- Imagine you are the customer. Remember that when a customer is looking at your listing they are determining if the product will be right for them. Write accurate descriptions and use your tags.
- Don’t list everything you have the first day. Space them out a bit. Your new items will be higher up in Etsy searches.
- Join teams. Connect with other Etsy sellers. You’ll belong to a community and learn at the same time.
With these tips you will hopefully have a successful Etsy business. No one can guarantee you success but if you have a great product and do your research you can go far with Etsy and beyond.