Everyone has bad days, sometimes even weeks. You may or may not have clinical depression but even someone who doesn’t can feel bad. If you are feeling overwhelmed with work, school, or family obligations, you need to take some time for yourself, too. Here are some things you can do when you feel like crap.
- Take a shower. Imagine all your stress as black muck washing away. Feel sorry for yourself if you need to, cry, etc. When you are done showering, it’s time to think positive and feel refreshed and clean.
- Clean your living space. I heard somewhere along the line that you can do anything for 15 minutes. So pick something in your space, like dishes, do them for 15 min and then break. You might find you just finish the dishes. Cleaning sucks but when you are done and everything is cleaned up, you will feel better.
- Call someone you haven’t talked to in awhile. If the first person doesn’t answer, call someone else. Ask them how things are. When was the last time you called your Grandma? Or maybe your best friend? Laugh with them.
- Think about some things you are grateful for. You might want to make a list. Sometimes this can put your problems into perspective.
- Forgive. Being angry is only hurting you. If you need to apologize, do so.
- Eat something healthy.
- Write down your goals and schedule for the week. It will help the feeling of being overwhelmed.
Everyone goes through bad times in life, but with these suggestions, you may feel a bit better. If things are really unbearable, you may want to seek out a therapist. A licensed professional may be able to help you if you are suffering from depression. It’s not embarrassing to get help if you need it.