When you think of Thanksgiving dinner, you picture a huge dinner with turkey and maybe the good china. There are all kinds of dishes for everyone to choose from, cocktails, and decorations. Family traditions are made. However, not everyone has the money to spend on all of that stuff. Here are some tips to save money on Thanksgiving dinner.
- Think outside the box. Some people save money by going out to dinner, or not having the traditional dinner. Think casseroles or Mexican instead.
- Have a potluck. Ask everyone to spend about $15.00 and bring something to dinner for everyone. It not only eases the financial burden, but it saves you from having to cook an entire meal along with all the hassle of hosting. Plus, you will have a bigger variety of food, some of which may not be traditional Thanksgiving fare. However, it’s never a bad idea to try something new.
- Shop ahead of time. You might be lucky to hit some sales on the traditional dinner items. Saving a few bucks here and there can really add up.
- Skip the decorations. Or at least make your own. Check out Pinterest. You may be able to find stuff at the dollar store as well.
- Skip dinner altogether and volunteer instead. This could be at a church or homeless shelter.
- Make extra. Have leftovers if you blew your grocery budget on Thanksgiving. Turkey sandwiches, anyone? There are a ton of recipes all over the internet that you can use to incorporate the leftover turkey. That way, you won’t get so sick of eating it all the time with all the variety.
With these tips to save money on Thanksgiving dinner, you will have an amazing Thanksgiving whichever route you choose to go. Sometimes the best thing you can do is shop smart or give back to the community instead.